Wheeler lake crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 08, 2001 at 18:30:16:

Fished Flint creek the last 3 days. Tuesday was my banner day with about 200-250 crappie landed and 30 taken home. Most were in the 1.25 to 2 pound range. Wednesday and today were a lot slower and there was a surprising amount of boat traffic on the creek all 3 days. I had my best luck on a small artificial crawdad fished under a cork in the mud flats and around stumps. Other colors that hit were blue/white, red/chartreuse, pumpkin seed, white, you name it. I think the last 2 days I have been in the right spots at the wrong times since other folks have done better than I have, but it has definitely slowed down quite a bit.

I expect crappie are turning on everywhere on Wheeler, Guntersville and Pickwick lakes. With the warmer temps and relatively stable water levels (on Wheeler anyway), they should continue to hit very good for the next several weeks to a couple or three months. So get out there and catch some!

Just remember to be courteous while boating on the area lakes and creeks. Please use IDLE SPEED when passing on small creeks so you don't wash anyone out. There have been a lot of inconciderate boaters out the last few days who don't know what "idle speed, no wake" means... (sigh)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]