Re: Mussles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on July 23, 2006 at 23:39:46:

In Reply to: Re: Mussles posted by TroyJ on July 23, 2006 at 20:15:09:

I'll beat this drum once again...

When I was a child in the 1960's and early 1970's it was very rare to see the river (in Florence) NOT moving. The Tennessee river system and the creatures that live(d) there were accustomed to and (I think) depended on the flowing water. This not only removed or at least kept contaminants and pollution moving on down the system.

Today, or at least after the rise of nuclear power plants, the flow of the river is at best irratic in terms of aquatic life that depends on moving/flowing water for survival. Not only that, but in these last few weeks of drought and extremely high temperatures the affect on aquatic life like mussels must be even more extreme.

Don't get me wrong, I think TVA does a good job overall in operating and controlling the Tennessee river system as far as flood control and generation of "cheap" electricity. However, if you do some research you will find that the decline of many species in this river system coincide directly with the decline of moving water. Although we are in a drought and there simply isn't much water to move, I think something could and should be done to keep water flowing all the time on the Tennessee river to save what we have left.

Just my 2 cent drum that I have been beating for a long time now.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]