Re: 2002 Mercury OptiMax 125......Is this a good motor????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on July 17, 2006 at 20:57:44:

In Reply to: Re: 2002 Mercury OptiMax 125......Is this a good motor???? posted by jhef on July 17, 2006 at 15:46:02:

hey again...

I've been doing a lot of reading on Optimax motors. I'm not sure what metric displacement (in litres) is for an Optimax 135 (is it a 2.5 litre????), but anyway, Mercury was sued over the optimax. There was also some post about reworked powerheads marked by blue dots where an air injector or whatever could possibly fail and damage the motor.

I'm going to pass on the 2002 Optimax. Here's the lawsuit thingie:
Lazo v. Mercury Marine

This case was successfully settled in fall of 2004. M&S successfully settled this class action lawsuit against Mercury Marine for excessive problems with their 2000-2004 2.5L and 3.0L OptiMax Engines. The problem is generated from the powerhead and/or direct fuel injection system, which at times cause engines to cut off or freeze. All members of the class received an extended warrantee and/or a rebate on Mercury or QuickSilver Products. Those in the class who have who have paid out-of-pocket to for repairs on their direct fuel injection or powerhead components will receive additional rebates.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]