Re: RIP RAP????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on July 14, 2006 at 20:25:06:

In Reply to: RIP RAP???? posted by Derek Austin on July 14, 2006 at 17:28:34:

Derek, If I had to fish rip rap this time of the year it would be at night. Normally, rip rap is good in early spring for pre staging bass when water temps are still cold.

If I had to go out this week end it would be at night. Irregular features along the rip rap are what you are looking for. These areas do not have to be much. Examples would be your going down the rip rap and for the most part all the rocks near the water are the same size. Suddenly you notice a bigger rock. Another feature that is good is small points that stick out. Again these areas do not have to be big to hold fish. Isolated wood on rip rap is very good. Sudden depth changes are also good.

When fishing rip rap at night, Big jigs and spinner baits are good choices. BIG worms are also good baits to try. One thing that I think is important is you must fish slow. This time of the year, bass will not move very far to grab a bait. Fishing slow will improve your chances but it can be very boring at times.

The best advice I can give to you is get a good map of the area you will be fishing and look for the areas I have mentioned. Another tip is I have good luck on rip raps right before a severe front comes through. For some reason fish really like shoreline rock right before a storm. Could be they are waiting on food to be wshed into the water edge.

Good luck and be careful if you decide to fish at night.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]