What's with the dam operating schedule?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Allen on July 06, 2006 at 09:57:40:

While this is only the second year I have paid close attention to the daily operating schedules of Wheeler and Guntersville dams, this year has been crazy compared to last. It seems that last year during the hot summer the dam would run 15-18 hours a day. Now you might be lucky to catch it running for 6-7 hours. I realize there are many things that influence their operation but what gives? I know this has been a dry season so that might cut back on flow, but it's been hot too. In the past few weeks a lot of days the generators don't come on line until 11-12 a.m. but by then its 90+ degrees outside, which I would figure would require power generation. Also, if drought is a problem, why do they run the generators at 50K for 5 hours then cut them back to nothing? I'd love to see them run it at 30K for 8 hours. It would be hard for me to believe there is that big off a surge for power for only 5 hours out of the day then......nothing. Heck it's upper 80'-90's at least 12 hours out of the day. I can remember this time last year fishing at 7 a.m. with plenty of current, your lucky to have any by 11 a.m this year. Maybe someone who's seen more past years than I have can chime in...........

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]