Smoky Mountain Fly fishing trip report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on June 30, 2006 at 20:00:10:

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. By the time Kerry informed about the responses, I was already in Gatlinburg. Once there, I did a little searching and found a fly shop in Gatlinburg. This particular fly shop was located in Winery square. When I went in I was immediately greeted by a young man that went out of his way to help. I explained to him that I was in town for a couple of days for some much needed R and R and also to practice for an up coming trip to Colorado. He first gave me handouts that explained the regulations for trout fishing in the park and up into the mountains. He informed me that he guided and if I needed any help to call him on his cell phone. He also offered to take me out on a guide trip but he was booked until late next week.

Anyway, on with the experience! Let me start off by saying that I normally do stop very often to appreciate nature but I will say that there were moments that I stopped and realized how lucky I was to be having this opportunity. Breath taking is all I can say!

On Thursday morning my nephew was woke up at 4:30 in the morning to a stiff cup of coffee and a yank on the shoulder! By the time I got him going and headed towards the truck it was now 5:00. The first place we tried was off of little river road. The particular section was between Laurel falls and Metcalf Bottoms. One of the tips that I was given was to park in the designated pull offs and walk to areas that were harder to get to. Now here comes the Kodak moment! As we walk down into the dense forest towards the stream my nephew states how peaceful and serene it is. When we finally get to the stream, there was a very graceful fog that was drifting along the shore line right above the water line. There was a very large hatch going on and there was lots of surface activity. Got into the water and realized right away that this was not the back waters of the Tennessee! COLD! Remember the two little boys that played in a “River run through it”? Now replace with two over weight 30 and 40 year olds and you get the picture!! As we fished we got plenty of hits but could never get the fish to commit. We probably had 30 to 40 hits but no fish. Most were very small but some were definite keepers. I had one come up on a fly about 6 feet from me and it was a brown. I saw the bright dark spots and estimated the fish to be around 12 to 14 inches. Again, no get the net!

We left and went to an area on the little Pigeon River. Again we got plenty of hits but no landed fish. It looked like to me that the fish were interested just long enough to move the fly and then they were gone. We also tried dropper rigs without any success. We left there and went to the little river near Goshen prong trail. The waters here were very narrow in places but fishable. Again, plenty of bites but no takers. At this point, it is getting to be around 2:00 PM and we need to get back. We talked to several fisherman during the day and everyone was either lying or the fishing was indeed tough that particular day.

Anyway to end this long story, we had over 100 hits. No fish landed but a fantastic time. I will definitely be going back to the Smoky Mountains to fly fish. Good luck and thanks for listening!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]