Food for thought...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on June 26, 2006 at 10:00:09:

In Reply to: Water Temp - Thermocline - Suspended Fish posted by Steve on June 25, 2006 at 23:52:03:

I recently read literature that said pond depths over 10 feet are a waste because there is no oxygen below this depth. Then I realized that I have caught catfish at 25 feet regularly in the river/lake and up to 50 feet at times.

My latest hypothesis is that rivers and bodies of water (i.e. TN River and impoundments) are often not subject to well defined thermoclines and stratification because of the current and the effects of mixing. My guess is that sudden temperature changes in the fall/spring, on days when TVA is not generating, would result in the greatest gradients. This logic would also dictate that backwaters would have the greatest layering. However, just thinking about heat transfer and the fact that everything is trying to achieve equilibrium (i.e. reach same temperature), there would have to be permanent environmental factors to result in a constant thermocline.

I am sure there are well defined thermoclines, but maybe more so at certain times of the year?? Maybe an underground spring could help? Of course, this would be similar to Browns Ferry discharge where little temperature differences are noted as your go further downstream.

I aint never known nothing about nothing like this so take this for what it cost you if you like.

Just my 2 cents,
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]