Re: Upper Bear Creek (night fishing)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MFEM on June 13, 2006 at 19:15:00:

In Reply to: Upper Bear Creek (night fishing) posted by John Reese on June 12, 2006 at 22:43:42:

John, I have not fished Bear Creek at night but I have night fished a lot so here are a few pointers. First of all if you are going out in a boat, safety is first priority! There are a lot of issues that can happen in a boat during the day time hours and these can be magnified during night trips. Make sure that you wear your life jackets at all times while the boat is moving during main motor operation. Make sure your kill switch is working. Make sure you know where your throw cushions are and make sure they are in easy reach in case of an accident. Make sure you have plenty of bug spray so the critters wonít bite! I do not know how old your son is but you might want him to take a nap before going out. It is my opinion that the bite normally wonít pick up until after midnight except for frontal conditions. I always like fishing on a dark moon cycle. Make sure that you have plenty of flashlights. You can never have too many of these while night fishing. Also you might want to have a cell phone for added safety.

As far as baits are concerned, I like using 1/8 oz black and red hair jigs tipped with a plastic zoom mini pork trailer. I fish these baits on 8 lb test and use a spinning reel. I also like using a black light with florescent line. It really helps detecting bites. Half ounce spinner baits are also good choices. Fish these on no less than 20 pound line. I like using black and red or black and purple spinner baits. On dark nights use dark colored single blades and on bright nights use silver single blades. The blade of choice is a single Colorado. Fish these spinner baits on main lake points after midnight.

Small finesse worms are good choices when the bite gets tough. Black, Tomato seed and browns are good color choices. I fish all of these baits on Wilson and Pickwick for smallmouth and largemouth. I normally use 3/16 oz bullet weights rigged Texas style. Again 8 lb test. These same baits will also work on Bear.

If you have no problems fishing live bait, I would go down to a near by stream or creek and find some good sized crawfish. Rig these up Carolina rigged and throw them on main lake points after midnight. Hold On!

If your son is real young, and you donít plan on staying all night, you might want to try small crank baits on main lake points. These will be easy for a young angler to work. My favorite is a Bill Norman Baby-N in Lavender shad color. These are hard to beat.

I guess the best advice I could give is keeping it simple and make sure you have plenty of drinks and munchies. Be safe and I hope I have helped in some way! Good luck and be safe. Keep in mind that if your son is younger then 12 he must wear a life jacket at all times. At night, it would not be a bad idea if grown ups wore them also. Have fun!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]