Wheeler tailwaters - bank fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 08, 2006 at 22:33:24:

I don't have much time to fish these days, but I did get a chance to wet a line tuesday afternoon. Work was slow and I got to leave early... less money makes it harder to meet the bills, but a little time to wet a line.

I stopped below Wheeler dam on the way home from work. I got there about 1:35 pm and fished the mouth of the inlet you first see as you come down the road below the dam.

Managed to catch a couple of very small salts and a couple of very small white bass or hybrids. On reeling in one of the salts I noticed a smallie chasing it that was probably between 2 and 4 pounds. It never came close enough to the surface to be sure of the size.

Shortly after, I caught a smallie about 1.5 pounds on a jig (my usual crappie jig, 16th oz. jighead with a 1.5 inch bass assassin grub) I think I could have caught the larger or another larger smallie if I could have caught a small skipjack, but they simply didn't seem to be there and neither were the bait shad in that area. Not to mention that "some folks" came along and decided that skipping rocks and throwing larger ones in to make a big splash would be a good idea. I didn't catch anything after that for the 30 or so minutes I kept trying. (subliminal definition of these "some folks" = "jerks", "idiots", "inconciderate !@#$&*^&*'s", take your pick.)

Finally, I walked up to the dam under the covered area and noticed some smaller (bait sized shad) but I am not sure if they were gizzard or threadfin. Didn't catch a thing there. Maybe the fact that nobody else was there should have given me a hint about the hit. (grin)

That's about it. Wish I had the time to chase them like I used to!

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]