Re: Jigger Poling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Miked on June 03, 2006 at 07:51:53:

In Reply to: Re: Jigger Poling posted by bassbug on June 02, 2006 at 13:57:44:

Jigger Poling is using a 16ft - 20ft telescoping pole with about 12 inches of 30# plus line coming from the tip of the pole. You actually have to tie and epoxy the line at the start of the second joint, giving about 3 feet of line on the pole. To the line attach heddon vamps, creek chubs, or ol' wooden plugs. The baits are shad, perch, and green pike colored. Ol' wooden plugs are made by Lucky Strike baits works. They make a version of the creek chub and heddon vamp. You can find them at Cabelas. The 200 series is the best size.

You will put the tip of the pole in the water and shake the pole to make the tip splash the water. This will simulate bait fish being chased by the plug. Use the trolling motor to go along the banks, around grass, and around pads. Most of the time you will see the bass come up to hit the plug. Don't try set the hook too quickly, as you can pull it out of their mouth.

Once a bass hits keep the fish and pole in the water. Bring the pole around the front of the boat and to the opposite side that you were fishing, this allows your partner to net the fish and keep you from getting hung up in the structure you are fishing.

The partner in the back can use a jigger pole as well, But the guy in the front has to be quick in getting their fish netted.

This is not for the faint-hearted as it is amazing to watch 5#-6# bass came up and nail that plug.

This is not a new technique. I am not sure how it got started. My dad is 68 years old and has been fishing this way all his life. I even have baits that my grandfather hand carved to use for jigger poling.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]