Weiss Lake Fishing Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on February 06, 2001 at 20:37:08:

DATE: 2-7-01
LAKE LEVEL: 560.5
NORMAL LEVEL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 48*F
WATER CLARITY: Dingy

CRAPPIE:In the last few days the weather has started to warm.We are bringing some good catches.As the weather and the water warms it should just get better
and better.We are finding these fish suspended in the mouths of big coves and off points.They are 6-10 ft. deep in 14-18 ft. of water.They do not seem to be
suspended around any structure.They seem to be trying to school up for a pre- spawn.Best method of catching them right now is trolling using double jigs 1. 1/16
and 1 1/32 about 35-40 feet behind the boat on a slow troll.Best color is blue/blue/blue & blue/green/blue.I can only speak for what our guides are doing and
what they are able to catch.The clearer areas such as Little River & Yellow Creek are not warming as fast as the stained coves.A few fishermen still have pretty
good success using dead poles or bottom bumping with minnows mainly around the Riverside area on the channel edges.If you decide to launch from Riverside
Steve & Anita are the new owners of Riverside and they will be glad to point you in the right direction.Their phone number is 256-779-6117.

BASS: Bass fishing is VERY slow.Strangly enough what bass are being caught are being caught on pig/n/jigs in 3-4 ft of water in the back end of coves where the
water seems to be the warmest.But, again bass fishing is slow.But, if you got an itch that you just have to scratch come on. :)

WHITE BASS: White bass are showing up in pretty good numbers also in the back end of coves in 3-4 ft. of water.Picking them up on 1/16th oz jigs trolled at a
medium speed.Best color seems to be blue/green/blue

CATFISH: I haven't been catfish fishing in a coon's age.Most of my catfishing is done off my dock while guide parties are cleaning fish.40-60lb. catfish is not
unusual.However, I have talked to several commercial fishermen in the last few days and they are doing great.

BREAM: No activity.

STRIPE: I think the stripe are biting but I am going to have to go check it out in the next few days.Most of my efforts have been on looking for crappie.If I get into
them I will update the report.

Warm temperatures (days) are expected here for the next few days.This will only help.The water is still low so if you are unfamiliar with this lake please be careful
if you leave the marked channels.

As always do not hesitate to give me a ring or email me whether you need a guide or not.Always glad to help.If you are planning a trip here soon you might
email me and I'll se if I can be of some assistance.Have a GREAT DAY! Steve
www.lakeweissguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]