Bream fishing with a Jr Higher

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe J on May 19, 2006 at 22:47:56:

Went to Guntersville today to try for some bream with my 12 year old daughter Natalie, who has changed quite a bit since starting Jr High last August...earrings, mascara, text messaging, mascara and an I Pod. Given all that I wasn't sure she would want to go, but she did. Fortunately we got some bites early. I gave her a 1/32 oz Beetle Spin, and I threw a Keystone Minnow under a bobber. She had 3 in the boat pretty quickly before I got one. It was pretty obvious which they preferred...I threw her rod four casts and caught 2. We ended the 2 1/2 hr trip as the sun went down...she caught 11 and I caught 7. Duh, I should have tied on a Beetle Spin but she got a kick out of beating me so I stuck with a bobber and jig. That, plus the fact I was so busy unhooking her fish as her Jr High female sensibilities wouldn't allow her to unhook those fish. It was fun getting the first fish to pee on her, she was ready for it after that. Half the fish were nice hand sized, the other half smaller, down to the size of a Bagley DB-III. Size didn't matter. Now is a good time to take the kids out with some UL tackle and beetle spins, they won't care if the fish are small. Not too often you get 2-3 hours alone with an undistracted kid.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]