Bream Folklore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 18, 2006 at 16:00:48:

In Reply to: Re: Bream fished @ G'ville today posted by kenmack on May 17, 2006 at 21:10:44:

According to just about every Alabama fisherman that I have met with an opinion on this subject of a "magic date" for bream fishing, the full moon in May is supposed to be the deal. Based on that theory, spawning should be on the down side. I saw empty beds several weeks back, which has led me to believe that we may be past the peak. Since full moon can be any time in May, there is a big change between early May and late May in Alabama. And then, of course, what to do about Blue moons in May.

If fishing were truly predictable, the lakes might get wiped out. But, with every passing year, I can't seem to find out any for-sure rules other than... I generally catch more fish in the spring once the water temps get into the mid 60's and higher than any other time of the year.

Perhaps someone like Alex (an avid panfisherman) that keeps a log could shed more light on this folklore to tell us if it is the full or fool moon in May theory.

By the way, shouldn't the catfishing be peaking about this time?? I never drew a bead on the stripers this year. I have also heard some farmer's saying how strange this year has been with regard to rain, temperatures, and trying to get planted. Nothing like the cycles of life that keep us guessing and hoping.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]