Re: Comfort comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 12, 2006 at 09:09:43:

In Reply to: Speed comments posted by jd on May 12, 2006 at 08:50:01:

My final comments and opinion... maybe... LOL I just realized that there are two comfort ratings: 1) Ride and 2) Fishing

My fishing buddy has a 18 foot Stratos bass boat with 150HP. If we were going to bass fish and run up and down the river, no doubt, I would want to go in his boat due to speed and ride. However, I am sitting with my knees in my belly and surrounded by tackle boxes. While fishing, we can hardly move around because of all the rods and tackle bags. Things tend to blow out of the boat more often, maybe because it is faster, but maybe because not as deep.

Being fat, I like to sit up, easy to stand up, and easy to move around. I can put my tackle box on the bench and don't have to bend over too far. Sometimes the truth hurts, but I least I can admit it!

My decks are bigger and, IMO, my boat fishes more comfortably. I generally put in close to where I am fishing and don't run around much. In that case, I think my boat rides better. If I was going to, for example, put in at Decatur and ride to Triana, well... I wouldn't do it in a flat boat!

If you were to search my history here, you would see that I have thought long and hard about this too and realize there is no perfect solution. My last boat was a Triton 18 foot fish and ski and it rode like a Cadillac in any kind of water. However, I would never had fished with skip jack guts due to the plush interior. It had a deep hull, captains chairs, and ran about 55 MPH. However, it had small decks and sat high out of the water and had a windshield in the way. There is always a trade-off.

I hope this helps! If you are seriously considering the flat boat, I suggest you ride in one. I was unable to find one for a test ride so I just purchased. I was surprised at the bad ride when I put it in the water and realized that I had to throttle back because the wind was blowing. However, like I said, it meets my needs and I am happy.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]