Speed comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 12, 2006 at 08:50:01:

In Reply to: Re: Sea Ark 2072 or 1872 ....best route for big catfish rig?? posted by Steve on May 11, 2006 at 23:09:18:

I don't think I have the perfect setup for speed because, if my tach is correct, I can over-rev the boat at WOT. However, by the time you get to that point, your teeth are chattering and your whole body is vibrating unless the water is smooth. I am not a speed kinda guy. I love the ride when the boat is just on-plane and cruising along. However, the semi-v does nothing for you when it is out of the water and the boat is sitting on a flat bottom. If you look at boats rated for high HP, they always have a "pad" molded into the bottom rear of the hull. As far as safety, I feel very safe in the boat. Your rear may be sore, but you will get back to shore.

This boat is rated for 130HP. It orginally had a Merc. 130HP. To make a long story short, I believe the first owner realized that WOT was not the order of the day due to the hull. He had the opportunity to replace the motor and chose the 115, probably hoping for better performance. I would guess top speed is around 30 mph, but I have never put the GPS on it.

With your concerns, mostly centered around speed and ride, I think glass is your best bet. For me, the low maintenance is key because I only fish 6-8 times a year. Also, I mostly fish the tailrace and feel very secure with the deep hull and have the option to tie off to concrete. As far as the mess (blood and guts from bait) that would be associated with catfishing, a hose pipe is all you need. Bass boats don't seem to rinse out that easily. I think there are aluminum boats that probably ride extremely well, but I bet they are not flat in the back! You are gaining shallow draft with the flat boat. Great for pulling up on the river bank too.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]