Re: Sea Ark 2072 or 1872 ....best route for big catfish rig??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 11, 2006 at 13:01:34:

In Reply to: Sea Ark 2072 or 1872 ....best route for big catfish rig?? posted by Steve on May 10, 2006 at 23:35:25:

I have a Sea Ark side console SC2072 with a Merc 115. I call it the fat man's boat because it is comfortable with the high bench seats. It is also deep enough to drive from the cockpit while standing. I love it, but may sell it in a year or two to get a four stroke motor. I will probably also investigate the Triton 2072 to see if it has a better livewell system in the rare even that I want to fish a tournament. However, their front deck system looks less spacious because of the step... I have only seen pictures. The SeaArk livewell on my boat is plugged and used for dry storage. The floor is skinned out with no-skid aluminum. I also have a galvanized trailer which I really like. The 74 pound trolling motor seems just about the right size because it is a heavy boat. I can't even remember what I paid, but I believe it was around $12k for the whole rig when it was 3 months old and still under warranty.

I like the aluminum over glass because: 1) No washing or waxing; 2) Can tie up to concrete bridge/dam without horror of scratches (I have split pipe screwed to top band for protection); 3) No need to cover... just hose it out and go fishing; and shallow draft.

Of course, it has disadvantages such as: 1) noisy if stuff dropped in bottom of boat; 2) metal gets hot; 3) flat bottom is stable and floats shallow, but not comfortable (though safe) in rough water; 4) can't shoot transducer through hull; and probably other petty stuff.

I believe I will always own one of the aluminum 2072 boats. I have gone through 5 boats in as many years and almost have perfection in this one to suit my current needs. I just wish I had gone with 4 stroke option. I love the space... you will use it! Heck, your significant other can even take a reclining lawn chair along and sleep in the middle of the boat. You have space for bait tanks, jugs, trotlines, buckets, and just about anything else. I met a guy at Guntersville Boat Mart that loads 4 wheelers onto his and carries them down a river to his hunting camp. He even weighed the boat loaded to verify he was legal and had weight slips when stopped my marine police. If I remember correctly, he was talking about buying a 24 footer and also keeping his 2072.

E-mail me if you want more opinions. Maybe we could even fish one afternoon, though times are hectic for me in the coming weeks. I am convenient to Ditto, but store the boat in Hampton Cove.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]