Re: Guntersville Shellcracker

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on May 10, 2006 at 06:58:54:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville Shellcracker posted by Joe J on May 09, 2006 at 20:31:24:

Joe, my father and I were fishing on the back side of an Island right before the mouth of South Sauty. On the back side of this island there is submerged hump that use to be an Island many years ago. This hump is 50-70 yards from any shoreline. Around this hump there was very thick millfoil that faded out towards deep water. In this particular area, the water was somewhat clear. I was going along looking and saw something that just didnít look right. As I went past it, it faded away because of the angle of the sun so I circled back around to get the same angle as before and I threw to the edge of it with my Keystone. At this time, my cork was set to 3.5 to 4.0 feet deep. As soon as it hit the water I had a shellcracker. I threw back in and again, cork was gone! This particular bed was in 6.5 to 7 feet of water. After I set the anchors, we set our corks to 5.5 feet and my father started catching them as well. When the bite slowed, we changed over to a piece of split shot above a #6 long shank cricket hook and started fishing on bottom. They could not stand it! I realize that most beds are usually very easy to spot but over the years I have found some of my best beds are in deeper water and off shore. Like I said I did not see pot marks or a definite bed because of how deep they were but because of the action, I can just about bet it was a very large bed. When we left I did not go over the bed because I wanted to come back to it later in the week. I guess you could say I just got lucky this time around. The water was stained somewhat in the pockets but when you got near thick millfoil, it seemed to clear up just enough to spot the questionable spots! Good luck. Hope I answered your question!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]