Goosepond Bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 08, 2006 at 14:01:48:

Yesterday was a custom-order day for me to be on the water... overcast, sprinkles, and cool with no wind and 72.2 degree water temps. Actually, I might add a little wind to my next order as it was almost too calm and spooked fish in the shallows. We mostly fished the shallow backwaters of N. Sauty and managed a half dozen or so up to 3-1/2 pounds. Most of the bream beds appeared to be empty in the 5 feet and less water. Threw traps, spinnerbaits, spooks, pop-r's, and plastics. I kept going back to the 6 inch Yum pumpkin/chart dinger. It was my first experience with the super-senko dinger and cost about $4.99 at Goosepond for 7 of them. The plastic is so soft that they tear every time you get a bite or get stuck in the grass. However, they are super heavy and great for fishing weightless in the grass. I was able to cast a country mile in the shallows to keep from spooking the fish. So, it is hard to complain about $5 for something that works.

We moved out to the channel and planned to fish the flats. However, the only spots I know had boats sitting on them so I just fished the shallow part of the channel ledge for a few minutes and did catch one small one. The grass gnats, though tiny, they have hatched and are in full force around Goose Pond!

I saw a fish-n-ski run on-plane between the island and the bank that you can see in N. Sauty from Hwy 72. YES, that island closest to the highway on the south side. In case you have never been there, there are stumps that will hang your trolling motor. It never ceases to amaze me these days ever time I go to the lake. Somebody got REAL lucky!

Good luck! That might cash me out until after Labor Day unless the planets align properly again. Did anybody ever catch many stripers this year below Guntersville? It was a strange year for me!

-jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]