I jug fish

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Allen on May 08, 2006 at 09:03:52:

In Reply to: Does anyone here jug fish? posted by AKL on May 04, 2006 at 18:00:50:

I jug quite often. I actually went this weekend below Guntersville Dam and did fairly well. I caught some nice eating size cats as well as some larger ones I let go. BTW I caught a 60+lb cat last year on a jug, what a blast that was.
My jugs are similar to these guys except I use a 1/2" piece of PVC cut to length of the noodle I am using (I typically get 3 "jugs" out of a noodle.) and press the PVC into the hole in the noodle. I then use tarred line (used for trotlines) cut a little more than twice the length of the noodle and thread it through PVC, add a heavy swivel, and tie it to the other end of the line end to end. The length of "down line" (again tarred line) depends on the depth I am fishing, I usually stay about 3' above the bottom. Halfway down the line I tie a 6/0 circle hook, and add a 3/4oz egg sinker stopped by a knot about 18" from the end where I tie another 6/0 circle hook. I know this sounds confusing but it's very simple and cheap. This design allows the jug to stand on end when its been hit and is easily seen. E-mail me and I'll send you a diagram of how I do it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]