Re: Does anyone here jug fish?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on May 04, 2006 at 18:47:58:

In Reply to: Does anyone here jug fish? posted by AKL on May 04, 2006 at 18:00:50:

Use enough line to keep your bait 1-5 feet from the bottom. The area I jug fish is from 16-23 feet so I use 14-16 feet of line with a 1/2 oz weight and a 3/0 to 5/0 circle hook. If you fish deeper use a bigger weight about 12 - 16" above the hook. I also use 50-80 lb braided line. You can catch some fish on store bought ready to use catfish baits, but they like ... no they LOVE ... gizzard shad guts. Net some in the tailraces below a dam, slit their belly and remove the guts. The guts have a hard knot that stays on the hook for a long time. It's really nasty, but highly effective! Bring something along to keep your hands washed and/or wiped. Last year I caught 120-160 pounds of catfish every time I went in 4 hours or less. That'll keep the young 'uns from going to sleep for sure. I was using 28 jugs, so we were constantly catching fish. On several occasions I had three jugs bobbing at the same time. The circle hooks set themselves and tend to keep the fish from coming off the hook. You might want to bring some gloves in case you tie into a really big one, because those superlines can give you a nasty cut. I landed several cats in the 20 to 40 pound range which are a handfull with a jug line! I had one break 80# superline and another straighten a 5/0 circle hook. Bring a big net, but let the big ones go after a photo, because they are the future of the sport!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]