Re: BIG POND BASS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on April 27, 2006 at 09:31:06:

In Reply to: BIG POND BASS posted by Steven on April 24, 2006 at 22:18:26:

Forgive me if you are offended, but are you sure it is bass? Big bass don't seem to "splash" around, but will explode on bait when chasing them in a pond. I too have have been confused on some occasion when fishing ponds. I once went and got some friends because of some giant "catfish" that were rolling around in a pond. WHen I came back with people, tackle, and bait, it was clear that it was large grass carp. It was quite embarrasing, but I learned something new. This time of year grass carp will roll around, I guess, as part of their mating ritual. One of my favorite pond lures of all times has to be a Rapala. The smaller the bait, the more subtle the presentation and lifelike in appearance to the natural bait typically in a pond. However, that little #3 job is a real challenge to land a big bass. My last memory of just such a challenge was a few years back. I tossed out the lure and let it sit. After about 10-15 seconds, a 5-6 pounder came out of nowhere and nailed it. Work it slow like an injured minnow. Reel a little and let it float back to the top. Great bait for numbers and fun to watch almost like topwater.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]