Re: My finger is pointed at...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on April 25, 2006 at 09:39:17:

In Reply to: My finger is pointed at... posted by jd on April 24, 2006 at 15:44:51:

JD, I guess the point I was trying to make is there are a lot of individuals that will preach and give a sermon on how you should bring plenty of ice and water conditioner. Keep your live well on all day! Some of these individuals are the same ones that help or participate in the local tournaments, BIG or small. When you call them on mortality rates, you always get the same story, “There have been studies that show we do have low mortality rates and we are the only one’s that care”, blaa, blaa, and more blaa! Funny thing is my friend that found the fish did not see any “caring individuals” such as biologist or you’re so called “study” experts dipping dead fish and counting days after the event! I get sick and tired of these hypocrites. I realize we have the right to fish tournaments whether it is for fun or for monitory gains. But to grip and complain about a group who catches their legal limit and cleans them for food is just down right hypocritical! So what if you pull into a pocket and see 10 boats catching fish like crazy. As long as they are following the laws, I say go for it. At least they are not dumping the fish they catch back into the water to ROT!

Keep in mind the fish my friend found around the mid lake area might not have had anything to do with a tournament but I have my doubts. I am like you when it comes to tournament fishing. As long as it is legal I have no problem with it. At the same time I feel strong about lowering the creel limits during hot summer months for tournaments only! Of course you are going to have a lot of BIG time PRO anglers complain and also the BIG organizations complain about the weigh-ins not being as exciting. These same individuals will threaten to not come back and the local economy and state will NOT allow that! Remember??? It’s a money thing. If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. As long as the MONEY is out for grabs, there will always be someone or somebody that can over look the real problem.

To give you an example, years ago, I use to fish a small club tournament. There was one particular summer that the weather was just blistering. I remember taking a water temperature out on the main lake that was 95 degrees. At the end of the day there were several dead bass at the weigh-in. (23 to be exact). Those fish average anywhere from 2.5 to 6.0 pounds. Once the weigh-in took place I noticed people walking down to dump the fish. I asked if they were not going to keep their dead fish, could I take them home. Now I know what you are thinking, this guy is a LAW breaker! Under the circumstances, I felt that I had no choice. If a game warden would have pulled me over on the way home that day, I would probably still be in jail! I took it upon myself to over look the possession law, take my chances and not waste those fish. I fillet every one of those bass and eventually ate every one of them after pouring ten pounds of seasoning on them and grilling them over a 6 month period! Yuck, but at least they were not found floating in the mid river area by a friend of mine! I do not eat bass anymore and I do not fish tournaments anymore for obvious reasons! Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]