Re: Fishing guides....are they worth it??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on April 21, 2006 at 21:08:47:

In Reply to: Fishing guides....are they worth it?? posted by Robert819 on April 18, 2006 at 21:46:27:

I'm gonna respond once more about guides. They're a bargain.

It's quite simple. If one is thinking about the value of hiring a guide, one should consider the thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours that a guide has invested in his fishing knowledge. A person hiring a guide, in addition to meeting a nice guy (gal) and having fun, is actually purchasing a wealth of knowledge for just pennies on the dollar. Anyone with minimal observation skills can learn a lot in short order from a guide. Guides teach.

BUT!!! Let's be frank here. It is only ethical that if a guide shows someone one or two of his holes that that person should NOT go sit on the guide's holes during subsequent trips not having hired the guide. Nor should anyone hiring a guide tell other people about where the guide fishes or secret techniques. This is the degree of ethical behavior, courtesy and the honor system that fishermen have long enjoyed. Remember, you're not buying the guide's holes...but rather the knowledge to strike-out and find your own.

Here's the deal. Mike Mitchell showed me some techniques and tackle that directly resulted in my landing a 95 lb (54") and a 92 lb blue cat. I now fish for big blue cats exclusively and try to develop my own techniques and find my own holes. Because Mike Mitchell was such a great help to my blue cat fishing, Mike is at all times privy to any hole that I find and also my GPS data. It's only fair.

The few hundred dollars that I paid him a couple of years ago....was a drop in the bucket compared to what I would have had to do in order to develop comparable skills on my own. My fishing partner and his son both went along on the trip...and grew closer as a result. Guides are a BARGAIN!!!!

Give someone a guide gift certificate if you want to give them a most unique and unforgettable gift.

www.southerncats.com

-Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]