Shallow Crappie in Guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Garrett on February 02, 2001 at 22:48:42:

Cleaned 38 crappie tonight caught in Guntersville. Fish were holding about 2 feet deep in 5-6 feet of water under boat houses. Flipping bass assasin crappie jigs into shady spots, but also caught about 10 of them on tuffies with floats. No real slabs, most of them about 10 inches long.

The trick was to move the lure as slow as possible. caught a few on 1/16 oz. and then downsized to a 1/32 jig head to keep if from falling too fast. Using 4lb line and lost couple nice bass when they wrapped around the piers.

I usually fish 20-25 ft water during the winter for crappie in guntersville. But the past few years I have found a lot of them stay shallow. Even caught 12 three weeks ago when there was ice in the coves. Although most of the bigger fish I find usually come from creek channels this time of year.

Thought some of you guys and gals might want to know this since Kerry has mentioned catching crappie shallow in Flint creek in the winter. Up unitl a few years ago I would never have believed it, but I do now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]