Re: Wheeler Full Pool?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 24, 2006 at 22:02:57:

In Reply to: Wheeler Full Pool? posted by Van on March 24, 2006 at 11:31:36:

Go back to lakeinfo.tva.gov and choose Wheeler and in the next box choose "Operating Guide".

What you should see is a chart with a shaded gray area with red and black zig-zagged lines.

The gray shaded area denotes the "target" level of Wheeler lake as measured right at the upstream side of the dam. The black zig-zag line shows the observed levels for the year 2005 and the red zig-zag line shows the observed levels for this year.

Note that the red line is well within the gray area for this time of year. This means that the lake is well within the predicted "target" levels for right now.

The gray area shows that the start of the raising starts around the middle of march and "full pool" target is predicted to occur around the middle of April.

You have to keep in mind that TVA operates many dams over a large area and events that happen hundreds of miles away from Wheeler can and do affect the level on Wheeler. Also, the overall rainfall or lack of it can affect how quickly the level will rise.

Although some people think TVA doesn't know what they are doing, I have studied the data from lakeinfo.tva.gov and the USGS observing stations for over 7 years and in my opinion they know what they are doing and do it quite well. It is just that not many folks know or understand all the reasons for their actions.

I am not saying I always like what TVA does as it pertains to fishing, but I understand the reasons why they do things. Not to mention that flood control and production of electricity are still the 2 main mandates for TVA.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]