Re: 4 Strokes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 10, 2006 at 10:38:32:

In Reply to: 4 Strokes posted by Allen on March 09, 2006 at 12:52:07:

A few years ago I was talking to the guys at Guntersville Boat Mart while getting my 2 stroke Yamaha fixed. They said they have gone to 4 stroke motors on their rental boats because of the low maintenance costs and long life. They empasized that their maintenance costs had almost gone away. It sounds like a 4 stroke motor lasts 5 times longer than a two stroke, which is likely a fact when comparing to motorcycle engines and understanding the technologies involved. I fish mostly in the winter and cool spring months, and I am tired of these cold natured 2 strokes. If I ever buy a "new" boat, it will have a 4 stroke. I just keep buying used boats with the cheaper and lighter 2 stroke motor.

As for the aluminum boat, there a certainly different classes of boat. I currently have a SeaArk 2072 that is rated for 130 HP. I think that rating was a hint to buy a Honda 130, but someone put a Merc. 115 on it. It is a monster of a boat and is 8 feet wide across the top. You can lay a reclining lawn chair inside the boat. However, the flat hull design will beat you do death when the wind blows. Fortunately, I don't run up and down the river much these days. Many aluminum boats these days are painted, have a pad that the boat rides on, and are just about as heavy as fiberglass. Just make sure you understand that a Triton jon boat versus a Triton aluminum bass boat have different utility and value. I recently had a Triton fish and ski and I realized that they truly had a well engineered boat. The storage was great, the livewell was outstanding in size and performance, and the performance truly embarrassed a previous Skeeter equivalent.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]