Re: Aluminum boats

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on March 09, 2006 at 07:10:03:

In Reply to: Aluminum boats posted by ben on March 08, 2006 at 19:52:02:

Ben, 10 years ago this past February I was in the market for an aluminum boat. I searched around and looked at Lowe, G3s, Fisher, Grumman (SP?), Ranger, Xpress, SeaArk and Bass trackers. What I was looking for was a boat that did not have ANY wood in it. I did not want to have to replace floors, transoms, seats. I drove most of these boats and got up inside all of them. I checked for material (skin) thickness, rib construction and most of all, the ride. My final choice was an Xpress by Aluminum/Weld. I have had this boat for ten years now and really cannot complain. I have a Yamaha 90/hp on the back and it really pushes the boat well. Mine is the 17(X51S) footer and the only regret that I have is not getting a bigger one. I have really pushed this boat to its limits and I am very satisfied. I wanted a boat that could get into shallow water and fish 2 people comfortable. The welds on this boat are not that pretty but very solid. I still cannot find any stress cracks. I know on the bigger ones they had problems with stress cracks due to the large motors but they have corrected the problem by beefing up the transoms. The only thing I can say honestly is you are not going to get the ride in ruff water like a glass boat. I have had mine is some dangerous water and really had no business being out there and still came through it! I have hit rocks in Pickwick with it and put some nasty dents on the bottom but it is still holding well. Kerry has fished out of this boat many times and has driven it. I think he has been impressed with the boat. My advise to you is look around and get up inside the boats. Pay close attention to construction. There are many aluminum boats on the market and most are built well. My other advice to you is drive before you buy! Fill the live wells up and put two people in the boat. See how it plains. Push it to its limits! Oh and Kerry says the next boat I buy will have 4 stroke on it. He has one on his boat and I think I will go that way when the time comes! Good luck with your choice and have fun with your new boat! Congrats!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]