Re: fishing guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on February 01, 2001 at 15:42:15:

In Reply to: fishing guntersville posted by Ken on February 01, 2001 at 11:30:16:

The last few years the bass have stayed shallow and on a good bite all winter. This year is different since we had such prolonged cold water temps. However, the temps are now getting near 50 (51 on Monday in some areas). I also saw a lot of small bream and other bait fish near the shore in the sloughs while duck hunting on Monday. This means that in a week or two if the temps don't fall back off, the bass will get shallow. Feburary is prime for big pre-spawn bass. The really big bass (9-lbs+) are the first to move up to spawn and are often gone before many people know.

There are good areas from Covenant Cove and down but the bass usually start getting active up river first. Mink Creek/Goose Pond, Church House, Murphey Hill and down to Seibold are good areas to start looking early. The shallow pockets where there are stumps are usually good. Target stumps in 1 to 8 feet of water with rattle traps and spinnerbaits. A 3/8oz black and blue jig or a Texas-rigged lizard will also do well. Follow the break-lines in the pockets. They do get on the bank cover some but they relate to the breaklines most. Breaklines that go from 3 to 7 feet are my favorite. Breaklines around or on the back sides of the islands near Seibold are also good. Don't pass up any shallow pocket that has the sun on it. Stumps on the main ledge from Waterfront and up are always good. Fishing the slope on the back side of the main ledges shallow produced major numbers for me last Jan-March. If the water is stained I do best in 1 to 4 feet but if it's clear I do best in 3 to 7 feet. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]