Re: G'ville Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 20, 2006 at 20:10:54:

In Reply to: G'ville Crappie posted by G'ville Speck on February 20, 2006 at 19:48:09:

I don't know if anyone is catching a bunch. I simply haven't been able to fish as I once did and the few times I have been able to go (from the bank) I haven't had a lot of luck, though I have caught a few.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that there has been an abundance of bait/shad/food readily available for the fish during this mild winter. This is definitely good for the fish, but can make it hard on the fishermen. I think the crappie are simply fat and lazy. The few I have caught have all had full bellies and have, for the most part, wanted a very slow presentation.

They simply have so much easily available food that they don't want to work for it. This cold weather may have pushed many of them back into deeper waters as they follow the abundant baitfish.

Of course, soon the pre-spawn staging should begin if it hasn't already, and they should be in the shallows in high numbers. Since we have had such a mild winter and the shad have been plentiful, I expect to at least hear about many nice sized crappie being caught even if I am not the one catching them! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]