Wheeler lake crappie - recently - and prediction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 31, 2001 at 22:38:01:

With the "warmer" rain we had recently along with the sunny and warmer days, even though it was VERY windy at times, the crappie moved up into shallow areas moderately. I haven't heard of any really killer catches, but many crappie have been caught in the last couple of days. I actually took my boat out on Flint creek in all the wind on tuesday. Managed to catch about 8 really good crappie with a couple in the 2 pound range. All fish were caught in shallow mud flats and the bigger fish were taken on a 1/8th ounce horsehead w/spinner dragged slowly through the 2-6 foot waters. The creek was moving very fast and got more muddy as the day went on. Experienced one gust that I estimate at between 45 and 60 mph. Unusual for Flint with the wind breaks from the trees. Microburst type winds, I guess.

Since then I have been on the bank around Decatur taking enough crappie in the early morning hours and late evening/after dark hours to keep me out of the boat, but I haven't got a limit yet. Most of the fish have been between 9.5 and 12 inches. No huge slabs, but it is still looking like a banner spring for crappie on Wheeler. The water temps haven't warmed up all that much, a few degrees at most, from the lower 40's and TVA will be dropping the lake along with the colder weather that is expected to return within 48 hours or less.

Even with all that, I plan on fishing as much as possible for the paper mouths in the next 2 or 3 months as I can! All indications are that 2001 is going to be a great crappie season!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]