Re: A word on eating catfish

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rckmn on February 09, 2006 at 13:42:49:

In Reply to: Re: A word on eating catfish posted by Snapperking on February 08, 2006 at 12:05:50:

I work for an environmental consulting company and several years ago we were retained to investigate a paint spill into a catfish pond. The paint was "non-toxic", however, the owner of the pond wanted to make sure his fish were suitable for food sale. One part of the study actually consisted of taste testing of the fish. (I still can not believe I was paid to catch fish for two days) As part of the taste tests, we caught several cats of various sizes, filleted them and sent them to some university (sorry many years ago and my mind has lost many details)where they had "taste test experts" (they actually somehow calibrated their taste buds before the test). Basically, the way they would determine if the catfish had been affected was if they had any taste. According to this lab/university, catfish meat has no taste and the taste comes from the way the meat is prepared. I still question that myself, but according to the "experts" good catfish meat has no taste. By the way, turns out the fish were not impacted by the paint.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]