Re: Fishing at Guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on February 07, 2006 at 13:04:40:

In Reply to: Re: Fishing at Guntersville posted by Joe J on February 06, 2006 at 19:45:46:

That advice about the March weather is pretty solid for the stretch of river between Siebold and North Sauty/Roseberry. The channel is straight and a steady wind lined up with the channel (approx. northeast that time of year or southwest) can make for a wet, if not dangerous, boat ride. South Sauty will be a long ride to town by land. Most of the Guntersville night life used to be around the Hwy 431 section between/around Covenant Cove and the downtown McDonalds within a mile or two. I think all of the names have changed, but I recall The Magnolia, Crawdaddys, and a joint at/near Covenant Cove marina with a restaurant there that used to be called Val Monte. Maybe somebody can help more with that. If you stay at N/S Sauty, you will be closed to Scottboro and I can't help much there, but it is bigger than Guntersville wrt commerce.

March is tough because you often need to fish last year's weed beds. In some years, new growth may be sprouting in shallows if the river is not really cold and stained. Those islands and the area between that crazy zig-zag channel between south sauty and the main channel is often a good area to fish. Also, the big flat coming off the main channel into north Sauty can been good. Watch the "lip" from the old river channel as the water can/will get shallow (1-2 feet) as you cross out of the main channel in those areas. The channels are all marked really well. There is a place on the water in North Sauty creek at Goosepond that has bait, tackle, and fresh cooked burgers. I believe they also have lodging. The state park is nice, but it is a long winding road to town over the mountain... just in case you stay in the pub too long. ;) I believe the Hampton Inn off Highway 431 accomodates boats and has electrical outlets for batteries and puts you near midriver. Alred's Marina area has historically been a good prespawn area too with lots of islands and flats and is nearby at the Hwy 431 bridge.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]