Re: crappie?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 31, 2006 at 19:38:17:

In Reply to: crappie? posted by CrappieCatcher on January 31, 2006 at 17:41:09:

This would have been a great question for the late Steve Pope (Weiss lake) who was an expert at trolling jigs.

My own experience taught me that you have to experiment with your equipment and rig. It all depends on the speed of your trolling motor, plus the size of the line you use and the weight and shape of the jig you are using. You have to experiment with "tightline" and trolling using a cork. One must have is a decent depth finder or at least one that you are reasonably comfortable with and trust.

When I did troll, which was not that often, I usually was finding crappie in 10 to 15 feet of water suspended between 7 and 9 feet, so my example is limited in scope. I would make a cast behind the boat as far as I could and then add a few feet to that. I used 6 lb test line and a bass assassin on 16th oz jig head. I troll on my slowest speed (12/24 MotorGuide Brute - very old model) and was able to keep the jig in the hit zone most of the time. The direction you are trolling in relation to any current that may be present also has to be taken into consideration. Trolling with the current will usually allow the lure to go deeper and trolling against the current will cause the lure to ride higher.

As I said, you will need to put some time in finding out what trolling speed, length of line behind the boat and jig weight gets your lure into any given hit zone. I used to watch my depth finder on a flat with relatively steady depth and simply troll at differing speeds and lengths behind the boat and make a mental note when the jig was dragging the bottom. Then I would adjust length/speed based on that to obtain the right trolling depth.

Best I can do for you.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: