Re: New to AL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by WTL on January 26, 2006 at 16:02:29:

In Reply to: New to AL posted by ZMT on January 26, 2006 at 07:55:37:

I'm still going to school down at UA, so I guess I can help. You're gonna need a trolling motor, you can fish without them but not nearly as well.

Since you are just learning bass I'll give you a little advice- first this time of year isn't the greatest time to learn. In another month though it will be getting there, bass go deep and they slow down activity wise in the winter, but around march they start to go very shallow and they will begin to spawn. Thats a good time to learn bass behavoir. You can see them on their beds, normally a larger female will pair up with a pound, maybe pound and a half male, the female will lay eggs and the male will do his duty - and both will hang around and protect the nest. You can run lures right through the nest and see how the bass behave, so it will teach you a lot. Lake Tuscaloosa has pretty clear water and a good amount of maidencane so its not a bad lake to sight fish for smaller bass, and as you said what you are doing now is learning so this is a good opportunity coming up.

A word on the local waters; Tuscaloosa has lots of places you can catch good numbers but it is not good for producing trophy fish. Lake tuscaloosa is sometimes called the dead sea, but if you go with light line and smaller lures, jigs, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, texas rigged worms then you will catch plenty of smaller spots and some largemouth. The Black Warrior river is a little better as far as quality of fish goes, I especially like the area below holt dam but be careful cause they discharge the lock there a couple times each day and the water can get rough. Lots of stripers are on the black warrior too, as well as catfish.

If you have any questions go ahead and feel free to ask them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]