Re: G-VILLE DAM

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on January 26, 2006 at 14:33:30:

In Reply to: Re: G-VILLE DAM posted by Mike on January 25, 2006 at 17:54:03:

Years ago, I also consistently caught some good bluegill down there around the May peak while fishing from the bank. We used to fish on the bottom with split shot, but you better know exactly where to fish or you will get hung on every cast.

I have spent hundreds of hours on the sand bar, fishing day and night, and probably caught more fish there than since I moved to the other side of the river and bought a boat. I have either had or witnessed outstanding catches of jack, crappie, stripe, largemouth, smallmouth, spots, bluegill, cats, and whites on many occasions. It was here that I learned that stripe like chicken livers and will even bite it at night. I have also been skunked there many times. As always with fishing, you have to be at the right place at the right time. A 1/4 ounce grub is always a must, and is relatively inexpensive when battling all those rocks. I saw a guy catch a good stringer of largemouth, including a 7 lber, one day with a texas rigged worm. I also had a friend that caught a 6 lb. smallmouth on a sassy shad while standing at the top of the boat ramp after an ice storm meltoff flood in the late 80's.

When the fish are at the sandbar, especially crappie, take a number when trying to fish around "the rock pile" or anywhere else at certain times of the year. I would not expect much problems this time of the year and wish I had time to find out for myself!

Thanks for the reports!

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: