New to AL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ZMT on January 26, 2006 at 07:55:37:

Hello all and thanks for this forum. I recently moved to Tuscaloosa from San Diego, and I'm pretty clueless about freshwater fishing. Got a boat, but it's a 21-foot deep-v center console with no trolling motor, which I guess limits my options some.

I've gone out a few times in the last month on the Black Warrior below Oliver dam and metered a lot of fish, especially in the tailrace and on the dropoffs at the edges of the channel, but I sure can't get whatever they are to bite anything. All I've caught is some little white bass on crappie jigs while drifting down along the banks in like 10 feet of water.

Can anybody give me some basic getting-started kind of tips for that stretch of river or Lake Tuscaloosa? Don't much care at this point what I catch. Aren't crappie supposed to start biting in the shallows about this time of year? And what are all those big fish I'm seeing on the meter in the tailrace, catfish?

Anyway, like I said, I'm clueless, so any advice about where, when or how would be really helpful. I'm planning on going out Saturday if the rain holds off long enough.

Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]