Incidence of eustrongylides high on Flint creek again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 29, 2001 at 20:05:08:

My fishing partner fileted the 20 or so crappie were managed to catch yesterday on Flint creek. Many of those had the little red worms in them and 4 were so infested that he just threw the filets away rather and keep the scraps that were left after cutting out the parasites.

The limited evidence that I could find on eustrongylides suggests that there is little risk to humans from these larval nematodes, but it is distasteful to think of worms in your fish. I strongly suggest fileting ALL fish taken from Flint creek. Simply scaling and gutting the fish may not disclose the parasites to you. They are definitely in the crappie, but I expect them to be in all fish to some degree on Flint creek.

Most definitely the strong infestation on Flint is related to the large concentration of water fowl in that area due to Wheeler NWR bordering much of Flint. The low flow of Flint probably also comes into play along with the refuge blocking off backwater areas to natural flow and putting in gated culverts. This is just my opinion, but the incidence of eustrongylides seems to go way up with lower flow conditions such as we have had on Flint for the past 2 years. Flint doesn't have much flow or current if there is not regular rain in the area.

For more information about eustrongylides click below:

http://www.google.com/search?q=eustrongylides

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]