Night crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 25, 2001 at 22:43:20:

I haven't had very much luck finding the crappie during the day lately, since the water came up, but have been having mild success in the early evening just at and after dark. I did find a couple of crappie and bass at one shallow water spring near Decatur today, but they are still a little slow in the day time. Tonight I fished with a good friend at the pumps in Decatur (Day park) from sunset until about 9pm. I only caught 4 and he caught 21. All nice keepers, but no really big slabs. Biggest fish was probably right at a pound... maybe a little more. All fish were taken on jigs under a cork and the best color tonight was a pink and white tube jig on 16th oz tube jig head. One really weird thing was that most of the fish were taken by simply letting the tube jig drift (not twitching it) in the small amount of current that was present. Although I tried this method using the same tube jig, I was not able to make it work for me. That's the way it goes sometimes. (sigh)

I don't know if they will keep coming into that area since the water will be dropping more by tomorrow night, but you never know! I have tried this spot for the last 3 night and crappie were caught every night. Not as many as tonight, but some were caught.

Also, if they are hitting at this place at night, then I feel pretty sure that they are hitting at several other spots at night right now. Anyone tried the Scottsboro area at night? North/South sauty? etc, etc.....?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]