Re: Skip Jack Record

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on December 09, 2005 at 10:02:45:

In Reply to: Re: Skip Jack Record posted by WTL on December 08, 2005 at 15:44:25:

I am not sure if the skipjacks are stacked up thick this time of year... I doubt it. The jigs I am referring to do immitate minnows. I always carry two rods when fishing below the dam: a spinning rod with 8 lb. test and 1/4 oz. (I think), plain head, curly tail jig and 17 lb. test and 1/2-1 oz. 3 in. sassy shad. I often have to bench the 1/4 oz. jig because I can't keep the skipjack off. Often, I have to let the jig drift to get deeper in an attempt at a striper. However, when reeling it in, the skipjack attack. The faster you reel, with a few jerks/twitches, the more likely you are to get bit. I sometimes catch them on the big sassy shad, but they usually just slap it around and miss the hook, which is must better for stripe fishing.

A spoon ripped near the surface below the point at Guntersville dam will result in a fish on almost every cast around April/May. However, when taking kids, I like the use of a single hook for ease of getting them stinking critters off easily. I would fish with the cheapest thing I could find since many 'rockbass' bite below the dam. Green (more green than chartruse) has always been my color of choice. I always get them at Cooley's Grocery on the south side of the dam. Try fishing faster and jerking the jig like walking the dog on a spook next time you can't get the skippers to bite.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]