Re: Great Night on Guntersville - Lots of Hot Action!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 07, 2005 at 19:00:50:

In Reply to: Re: Great Night on Guntersville - Lots of Hot Action!!! posted by Joseph Fristoe on December 07, 2005 at 08:12:48:

Don't confuse the drum around here with black drum or redfish. As for skipjack herring, well, it is in the herring family and some of the herring family are eaten by many folks around the world, but I would think our skipjack would definitely be an acquired taste. I know I will never acquire it. The best usage for skipjack is either cut bait or fertilizer. Just bury one or two under each of your tomato or pepper plants. Works great and cheaper than fish emulsion fertilizer.

The original posters joked that they couldn't keep the crappie off of their lines while trying to catch skipjack. If that actually IS true, then I guess it is true that there is no accounting for taste or lack of taste buds. LOL! As for the state record, I am sure there are some 3 pound skipjack out there as I know I have caught some in that range over the years. Although skipjack are found just about everywhere in the Tennessee river and tributaries, the best places for large ones seems to be below the dams and other places where there is moving water and bait.

As for the drum in our area, from personal experience, they taste terrible.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]