Re: sauger on wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on January 24, 2001 at 14:57:29:

In Reply to: Re: sauger on wheeler posted by TG on January 23, 2001 at 23:59:46:

Yeah we go below Smith Lake Dam to trout fish. I say its fair--limiting out is no problem, but the limit is 5 each and most of the fish are small. We hiked in from the east side last week so we could fly fish and we ended up catching 15 and keeping 9 of them. Take the interstate to hwy 69 south (toward jasper) You will be on 69 for10-15 miles-i dont remember exact mileage. IMMEDIATELY after crossing the walker county line (and two bridges), you will turn right. Follow that road for a while, and you will see another right that goes downhill through a fence--this road takes you to the catwalk that is lighted (makes for handy night fishing). The other place is a dirt road just before those two bridges. It deadends at a pump monitoring station, and you have to park there and hike bout 1/2 mile to the dam--but the trail is an old road so it is easy hiking. That side is the side you will want on to actually get down to water level and fly fish, etc. Usually we have plenty of powerbait (orange usually best)and fish it on the bottom with small hooks and light weight, and just take flyrods to play after we limit-out. Ive heard that the bigger trout-up to 15 or 16 inches-can be caught below those bridges, so my next trip when its warm will be wading downriver after a big fish!

Shane

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]