Re: Follow up to Sunday's Kayak Fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ozzybass on November 16, 2005 at 15:28:29:

In Reply to: Re: Kayak Fishing posted by Ozzybass on November 13, 2005 at 10:49:07:

Follow-up from my effort on Sunday -

Managed to finish work by around 1:30pm Sunday. Sunday afternoon was very pleasant & I put in the kayak at Swan Ck, Decatur. Water levels however, were quite low and I fished from the road bridge & upstream slightly and downstream to where Swan Ck empties out into the Swan Ck area flats. Too shallow, even for kayak to get out into the flats.

The bank was crawling with people, but having the kayak meant that I was still able to share the short stretch of water with so many others, yet stay out of their way AND catch a fish or 3. I knew, from previous explorations there, the creek had quite a number of bass, some of them approaching the 2-3lb mark. The water was very clear and I thought I was going to struggle to get bass I can see to bite. During the 2.5 hr session, I managed to catch a few small bass, one nice bass about 1.5-2lb and a couple of warmouth. All were caught on a wacky-rigged finesse worm. No doubt that a longer cast, towards water that I haven't got to yet, was the key to getting the bass to bite.

It was good just getting out there; and if I included fishing a new creek and catching a new species for me (warmouth) made it pleasant, enjoyable & worthwhile.

I've since checked out the new "river fishing" website referred to hereabouts and while its still very new, it could be just the ticket for us North Alabamian kayak fishos.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]