Re: Observations and comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 12, 2005 at 23:18:50:

In Reply to: Re: Observations and comments posted by ronnie on November 12, 2005 at 19:20:03:

Thanks Ronnie!

I read several other fishing forums or "message boards" on a relatively regular basis. Some of them are informative, interesting and "entertaining", but I haven't found any that I like better than the NAFF for local info on North Alabama fishing. In fact, most of the other forums are permiated with talk about tournaments, the politics of tournament fishing, fishing in areas other than north Alabama and for fish not found in this area.

I personally find the "tournament" culture to be detrimental to fishing in general as it pertains to the average person who simply wants to have a pleasant day on the water with the possibility of taking home some tasty fish for eating. The more money offered in these tournaments, the worse the whole situation gets. Anyone who has been out on the water during a large tournament, unless they are blind, will agree that time spent on the water with these $$$ tournament folks is not a good experience. The attitudes of "tournament" types seems to be that since they are after $$$, they have more right to the same water than the average joe. I have read post after post on other forums which demonstrate this attitude to the extreme with some even suggesting that the "weekend" pleasure angler simply stay off the water during "major" tournaments. If that doesn't say it all, then I don't know what else I can say...

OK, dismounting my high horse... The NAFF, although open to everyone, has always been about the average person simply enjoying being on the water and catching fish. Not about making money at a so-called "sport", which in my opinion has become just about as much a sport as "pro wrestling" is a true sport.

I know some will vehemently disagree with me and that is their right. All I can say to them is I am talking from experience on the water, not just blowing smoke. Otherwise, they can simply prove me wrong on the water where it counts by being courteous, following the rules and giving the respect deserved by everyone on the water, including those on the bank!

Thanks for the post!

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]