Guntersville crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 27, 2005 at 07:33:42:

Tuesday night I spent getting the boat ready. It had not been in the water for 5 months. I changed the spark plugs, repacked the bearings, changed the foot oil, replaced several electrical connections that were lose, greased the tongue jack, checked the torque on the fasteners inside the tongue hitch, checked pressure in trailer tires and generally did an overall maintenance haul! Got to the water and it never hick-upped! Ran great with no problems. Yamahas might not be great on HIGH performance but they are very reliable. Motor and boat will be 11 years old this February.

Anyway, the day was perfect except for the crappie wanting to bite. Fished current break lines and several bridges. Ended the day at 12:00 with 7 NICE crappie. Did catch about 25 real small crappie at the bridges. The current never really picked up and after talking to Kerry, we think they were there but spread out. I marked bait fish in 30-35 feet of water and in most cases there were larger fish near by. The fish that were caught were very healthy and fat. I talked to several people under the bridges and they stated the bite has been sporadic. I think with the warm September we had, the fish are a few weeks behind. Kerry and I plan on going sometime this week. Will report on our results. Good luck and please be careful. Oh, and by the way, the water temp is 67.4 on the main river channel

P.S. All fish were caught on Bassassassins on 1/16 oz jig heads. 4 and 6 pound test. Color did not matter. I tried Arkansas shiner, Crystal shad and Opening night. Caught fish on three colors.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]