Re: Wheeler vs. G

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 24, 2005 at 16:01:47:

In Reply to: Re: Wheeler vs. G posted by Backpacker on October 24, 2005 at 11:38:53:

Backpacker, I guess I should have explained. Before I met Kerry, he was use to vertical jigging on wheeler. When you vertical jig you have a more direct contact with your bait. I remember him telling me that you did not have to watch your line because the crappie would hit very aggressively. When I fish Guntersville in the cold weather months, the crappie are usually suspended at different depths according to water temperature and the availability of forage such as threadfin shad. The depths are usually deeper than 15 feet. I usually concentrate on current break lines that are near structure or my feeders. When I present the bait, I have to throw upstream and let it fall into the area where fish are holding. This is due to using light line and light jig heads. Over the years I have found that crappie like a slow falling bait. Once my jig gets down to a certain depth, I start working it back with the current in a jump and fall presentation. This jump and fall presentation is not drastic, just a couple of inches. Normally a crappie will hit this particular jig presentation on the downward fall. This is where the JUMP comes into play. So to answer your question, its not necessarily a different bite but a different presentation that makes the bite appear to be different. Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]