Re: Scottsboro Crappie/ advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 24, 2005 at 10:30:41:

In Reply to: Scottsboro Crappie/ advice posted by mighty on October 24, 2005 at 08:19:37:

Mighty, that is a question I have heard to many times! What does it feel like????All I can say is do not try and feel the bite. More than likely the guy who was fishing under the bridge with you was watching his line. Normally when a crappie hits a jig on a tight line presentaion, you will rarely feel the bite. What you want to watch for is a line jump! Thats right a JUMP! As you are working the jig back, if you pay close attention you will see the the line jump or snap. 98% of the time, it is a crappie that does it. I have fished for many years, and till this day I have found no other fish that jumps the line like crappie. I took Kerry fishing several years ago to one of my spots. I started wearing him out. He kept asking me what I was doing. I told him that you will not feel the bite like on wheeler. You have to watch the line! After another 4 or 5 fish I basically just stoped fishing. I wanted to watch him closely and sure enough he was not watching his line. I told him he missed a fish and he thought I was crazy. The next cast he through out and I counted down about where the fish were holding. I said get ready. Sure enough, the JUMP occured and he saw it this time. Well the cat was out of the bag now. He kept up with me the rest of the morning.

The jump is not that hard to see once you recognize it. As far as the jig size, try 1/16 oz on 4 or 6 pound test. Good luck and what ever you do, watch for the JUMP! Good luck on your next fishing trip! Hope this helps.

P.S. A good tip to remember!...As you are working the jig back watch for the JUMP on the fall or a slack line. Normally the crappie picks it up on the fall of the presentaion. Mighty, once you see it, you will want to kick yourself. I about bet that you were getting hits along side of this guy but did not recognize it!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]