Sunday Catfishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Shaw on October 24, 2005 at 08:13:48:

Launched at Ditto at about 1230 with plans to just kill some time. Didn't figure there would be any current. Went to catch some bream for bait at the first bluff and had quite and experience right off the bat.

I had hooked a green sunfish on a 4.5' pack rod that I keep around to catch bait. As I was reeling him in a smallmouth I'd guess to be around 4 lbs chased and caught it and took off. I had 2lb line so I just loosened the drag and held on. After a minute of fighting the fish it jumped and opened it's mouth and left. It never was hooked, it was just holding onto the greenie. Pretty neat.

After noticing there was some current I drifted and caught a small eating sized blue. I pulled back up and anchored and quickly caught another. Lost the next one at the boat then proceded to get washed out of the water by a parade of boats following a flyhigh.com hang glider rig that nearly swamped me.

After that it was a steady barage of pleasure boaters, many running across my lines, who gave funny looks at my rants. I had to wave one guy off who I was sure would hit me. The wake after he swerved was especially nasty. I mean come on, I was anchored out of the bouy line 40' from shore and was passed several times less than 50'from me. Now in an anchored 14' jon boat, that makes for a rough time. As nasty as it was yesterday, I would have thought they'd all be inside. Oh, well, that's fishing near Ditto I've found.

Anyway I managed to catch a couple of nice channels then the water simply shut off around 2:30. I packed it in.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]