Re: Low water, cormorants drum...What happen to my fishing spot ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 17, 2005 at 20:45:55:

In Reply to: Low water, cormorants drum...What happen to my fishing spot ? posted by Red on October 17, 2005 at 10:02:45:

I am going to take a stab at why there is not a concerted effort by the state government (or federal) towards regulating the cormorant population in this area.

First, I think the state isn't "aware" of the problem. As stupid as this assumption seems, government is just about the last entity to know about or at least acknowledge a problem. Politics/government = stupidity when it comes to common sense. Although the cormorants may not be a "real" problem right now, it is evident that their continued growth in population will soon be a major problem as it already is at Alreds (sp) on Guntersville lake.

Second, there are organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Peta, and the attitudes of people in the National "Wildlife" Refuges which can only be referred to as "tunnel vision". Only one goal in mind and "nothing", including damage to other species and their habitat, will cause them to stray from their mono-vision of utopia for whatever cause they have chosen to champion. I have seen and been chided by officials with this attitude personally on Wheeler NWR. Unfortunately, these same narrow minded people have good lobbys and "pull" in the state and federal government, so this tunnel vision has become prevalent to the detriment of common sense and scientific evidence.

One note: There are some people in the state and federal government who do see the problems, but they are few and apparently, powerless politically as they don't control the money.

Just my $.02

Good luck and good fishin'

P.S.

Follow the money... pork, whatever...

"Actions based only on good intentions, without diliberate and conscientious study and consideration of the ultimate consequences of those actions, will cause more harm than can be imagined in several lifetimes." (Unknown)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]