Lurin' catfish

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ozzybass on October 14, 2005 at 00:05:18:

I went for a bass session at the mouth of the Limestone Ck system off Greenbrier Rd south on my kayak last Sun afternoon or so I thought. Had 2 rods - my usual light bass baitcasting outfit & for a change, an UL spinning outfit. Fishing a Zoom finesse worm, wacky style on the UL & a texas-rigged Cyberflexx lizard (garlic flavor) on the baitcaster.

Caught a big catfish on the wacky worm which I had also smeared with scent. It was a torrid time on a kayak, 6lb line & UL rod. I thought my rod was going to break, but after much one-handed back paddling, I landed it. It weighed ~4.8lb when I got it home. I'd so far never caught a catfish on a lure before, anywhere I've fished in the world.

Later, during the "last cast" period on dusk, I saw & heard a very loud bloop on the surface next to a nice-looking snag. I thought it had to be a nice bass & not a carp. I thought about using a surface lure, but as time (& light) was running out, I cast my lizard to the spot. On my 2nd cast, I caught another catfish, only bigger! On my bass gear it was handled much easier. It would have gone about 5lb.

I was stoked! 2 nice cats on lures in the one session! To make things even more interesting, I checked the stomach contents of one of the them at home. It was packed with pumpkin, seeds and all! I guess it was from some family picnic pumpkin carving for halloween. I guess it also makes it less amazing as they obviously will eat anything resembling food!

Is it common to catch catfish on lures around here? I presume its much more likely on SP's?

Incidentally, I caught a couple of small bass too!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]