Ponds - Shellcracker

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 12, 2005 at 09:10:20:

I have finally got a new pond on the way and it will be decision time as soon as the wet season arrives. I once read that shellcracker are too aggressive for small farm ponds. Now I am reading that shellcracker can be stocked as long as complemented with bluegill at a ratio of 5:1. Anyone have any experience with shellcrackers when stocking at rates IAW state guidelines?

I have seen several posts in the past about crappie in ponds. It is usually not good practice per published guidelines. The state of Arkansas publishes information on the web that makes me think you might get lucky with black crappie with intense management. It sounds like white crappie are always a bad idea in small ponds. I have also been reading stuff about hybrid Striped bass in ponds. All of this is available on the web.

I think I am gonna stick with the bass/bluegill combo, but might consider shellcracker though not sure why. I have also not seen much about fathead minnows lately and wonder if that prescription from years ago turned out to be problematic?

Any advice is appreciated,

jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]